03 June 2005

No tengo gusto de goodbyes

1 June 05

Went into Puente Piedre to purchase ingredients for the enormous apple pie that Dan and Ibar have been begging (coyly prodding and suggesting) that I prepare for them. Once again they go off into one of their sessions of friendly arguments, bantering back and forth about how they each want/deserve their own pie and justifying why each one should have the bigger one. I am going to miss their nonstop bantering!

In Puente, we collected loads of snacks and drinks for an evening gathering with all of the employees, an impromptu thank you/see you later for everyone.

With little David`s help, I bake a pie the size of Texas for the kids (I mean for Dan and Ibar...I carved Ibar & Dan´s Pie into the top crust for them!).

Lucy and Manuel share a conversation with us about their plans to leave the refuge as immediately as this Saturday. Quite a heavy conversation right before the boys head out...they are already having quite a rough go of leaving the refuge and, like the rest of us, feel especially helpless in this latest upheaval.

Lucy and Manuel have been presented with a ridiculous contract that they are required to sign by the end of day tomorrow. It is filled with indiscrepancies and lacks specifics of any kind. In addition it is filled with loop holes and doesn`t protect the employee in any way...merely provides for termination of contract at any time seen fit. They aren`t even receiving the sum of money that is written into their contract. In addition, they are handed less money than agreed upon each month with an explanation that the remainder goes towards the purchase of insurance and benefits...with no receipt and no break down of how this money is being spent. I question whether or not it is actually being skimmed off of their paycheck...

We spend several hours together before the others arrive reading through it carefully and preparing a list of concerns to approach Carole with. I don`t believe that she is even aware of this contract yet as it has been presented to Manuel and Lucy by the ever incompetent committee.

We speak to Manuel and Lucy about the great need to deal with this issue in a professional manner. It is not an emotionally loaded conversation to be had. Rather a punch list of points to be made. It is also essential that they deal directly with Carole herself as to present their case to the committee would be absolutely futile.

We are hoping that Lucy and Manuel have been convinced to remain here at the refuge until we all have the opportunity to speak on their behalf to Carole.

Carole`s oversight here at the refuge would be really beneficial. She seems absolutely unaware of how the committee is running the refuge and treating the employees...

This place would be horrible without Lucy and Manuel here and it would just break their hearts to leave the children....As I have said before, they are the heart and soul of the refuge and absolutely lovely people.

We attempt to lift the resulting mood with a small fiesta...it is such a beautiful family of people here at the refuge and I feel absolutely blessed at having been able to spend this time getting to meet them and learn more about their lives..

2 June 05

Hmmmm...There is lots to say about today but the most overwhelming of all is also the most immediate for me to write about. I am sitting in a bus terminal preparing to catch an overnight bus to Huarez...and I just said "see you later" (I refuse to say goodbyes, as hokey as that may sound) to Dan and Ibar. I purposefully arranged to leave before they did because I fear turning into a blubbering idiot at the airport sending them off and I hope that they can understand. I`m not really sure why I am leaving to Huarez tonight except that I feel like avoiding something right now.

Does it sound ridiculous to only know these two for a couple of months and already be so sad to see them head off? I think it is because they are such fantastic gents who just ooze love and tenderness and caring (oooh, they are going to kill me), putting others needs before their own, ever thoughtful and considerate.

And now I am traveling solo and feel like pouting for a while by myself and being hostile about their departure because I feel like being greedy and wish that I had more time with them and in the same breath I wish them nothing but the absolute best and sincerely hope that somehow our paths might cross again. I know that they will continue to bring happiness into the lives of so many others that are fortunate enough to make their acquaintance.
Sigh...This sappy girl loves you both.

As I drove off in the taxi after saying "see ya later" to them at the refuge, I wrote the gents a note - hoping to share how I was feeling and surely failing miserably. I passed it to them through my taxi driver who was going to be collecting them a bit later to bring them to the airport.

Don`t feel much like filling in the rest of the day but will anyways...

Served apple pie for the kiddies today...we started noticing that the kids were eating their lunch much slower than usual for some reason...come to find out it is because I have served them each a big bowl of apple pie which sits, looming ominously, beside each of their plates. That just doesn`t sound like torture to me but for some reason the kids don`t like (my) apple pie...They are beginning to give me a complex!

I witness the children swapping plates, politely picking (and grimacing) at the pie, and covering it with their napkins to hide it. I recognize the tricks all to well as I pulled them myself as a kid! On top of all this, Lucy proceeds to pull the whole "clean your plate" speech much to my absolute horror! Poor things! My apple pie has become a punishment!

After dinner the gents save the day by serving one of the spectacularly bright and decadently decorated Peruvian cakes to all. They attempt to pass it off as their own work...no one is buying it though.

The children had prepared several performances for the gents goodbye dinner. They did it completely on their own. First several of the girls, dressed in skirts, and done up with bits of make up and flowers in their styled hair, performed a dance and sang with cervezas in hand. The song was mostly poking fun at how the boys really enjoyed their evening beer!

At the end of the song-dance, three of the smallest children came running up to us with baskets filled with homemade, coloured paper confetti and flower petals that they proceeded to throw in the air above us, giggling!

Secondly, the stage was reset for a theatrical performance which turned out to be the story of Dan and Ibar`s visit at the refuge. Poking fun at the boys quirks. We couldn`t understand most of it as the kids kept breaking into fits of giggles and forgetting what they were supposed to say. It was so funny, I had tears streaming down my cheeks!

Before bed time, three of the girls made my night, refueling my love of cooking by taking me aside to point out the fact that the other children didn`t like the pie I had made and had refused to eat it but that they had loved it and ate theirs and the others as well.

I love them...and tell my little fans that there is a bit more left if they are interested...they quickly devour it with their fingers. I will live to cook another day!...I think I will just stay away from the apple treats for a while.

We finished up the evening together with loads of dancing and then sent the little ones with kisses off to bed. Manuel brought out a bunch of beer and we all sat down for a final drink together...aaaahhhh....I hate somber moments.

3 June 05

In Huarez and it will surely be a wasted day as I am absolutely beat from the overnight bus...a day of relaxation, peace and quiet is more than due anyways...especially if it is accompanied by a hot shower! Mmmm....hot shower!

Highlight of the day is news emailed to me about Lucy and Manuel`s predicament at the refuge. Carole and her husband David phoned the refuge absolutely irate about the contract that was presented to Lucy and Manuel and what has been currently taking place with the committee.

I am so relieved to hear that they share the opinion that Lucy and Manuel were presented with a absolutely bogus contract and that it does, in fact, need to be drawn up by a legal professional. And as suspected, they hadn`t seen any of it. Good news, good news.

6 Comments:

Blogger db said...

Sad sad sad to hear your friends are leaving. i completely understand your emotional tie to them after only knowing them for a short while. I myself felt the same at the end of each stint I did as a camp counselor. But the beauty is in knowing that you made such a connection with such wonderful people in such a short period of time... :)

Glad to hear of Lucy and Manuel and Carole's intervention into their contract and bravo to you and everyone for standing up for them!

As for the apple pie... you could always make them the pumpkin "cheesecake"... ;)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Aaahhh...sweet and very wise words from Mr. dbmartin himself...thanks and needed that.

Somehow I don´t feel very confident about Tofu Pumpkin Cheesecake flying with the kids either! I think they would boot me out of the refuge for a stunt like that!

burnt biscuits...thanks sugar pea!...and did you get that last bit, db, about the praline pecan cheesecake...she´s still talking about it and I can´t even remember how she heard about it to begin wiht!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I can´t spell "with"...

8:37 PM  
Blogger db said...

LOL, it tastes so much better fresh though...

11:43 PM  
Blogger db said...

I will definitely have to try that! You mentioned to of my favorite ingredients; chocolate and baileys! LOL

*goes off to ponder which cake he'll submit...*

7:52 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I am feeling a bit worried with the competition for the Tofu Pumpkin Cheesecake....

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home