26 May 2005

Dress Rehearsal

24 Mayo 05

Walked the children to school this morning and was unexpectedly asked to judge a speech competition in front of the entire school. Based upon clarity, supportive gestures, creativity and comfort of speech. Two of our little ones were participating...hard not to be swayed by them...

25 Mayo 05

Discovered that our two children both happened to come in first place in the competition...I swear we were objective....people are raising their eyebrows as they think that the cards were stacked...

Spent most of the day painting a back drop of Machu Picchu for the children´s play, interupted by me making my hugest ever batch of fresh salsa, using fresh ajis...(Shawny you have got to try these! Our chili competition is never going to be the same...I plan to smuggle some killer chilis back for you!) Overall, the only ones that seemed to care much for it was the volunteers here....much too pica for the others....isn´t it always the case with my food?

A quick trip to Puente Piedre for some last minute items for the play and I have a couple new observations...First, is yet another comment on just how much I seem to stand out around here. It just never ceases to amaze me. It´s like I am from another planet...the blue eyes, the light hair, the skin colour, my height (believe it or not 5´ 5" is tall here). Children literally grab their mum´s hands, desperatly attempting to gain their attention, stare wide mouthed and point at me....While the mother says something like "Look, it´s a Gringa!" with equal excitement, I feel like a monkey in a zoo sometimes!

Returning to the refuge by bus...another unique experience. A good old traditional Peruvian bus ride as it was loaded well over capacity...all seats occupied, every "standing space only" spot taken, all of us crushed together "don´t be shy" close and the bus door can´t close as two others are hanging out of it holding onto a railing.

This is the setting when the two gents next to me decide to start brawling. I was looking at the two as they furiously tongue lashed eachother, pushing and shoving, when I realized that I was most likely going to get hit myself at some point and that, as I had very little choice in the matter due to the circumstances, I would prefer the blow to the back of the head than to the face...fortunatly the crowd forced one of the guys off of the bus before too much more happened...

Dress rehearsal for the play this evening and the kids look fantastic. Their excitement seems to result in a much better delivery even. Friday will be the big night...some of the children´s parents will come, all of their professors have been invited, as well as loads of additional friends, etc...All accompanied by family. We have no idea how many will actually attend, though we suspect quite a group. We have prepared programs, treat bags and plan to purchase flowers for all of the children in congratulations for all of their hard work. Can´t wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home