01 June 2005

Las Laderas revisited

31 Mayo 05

The last day of May and suddenly I am far too aware of just how little time that I have left here with the children. Over the weekend, while they were away with their relatives and everything was far to quiet, I filled my time by making big plans of traveling north to Huarez and Chavin to explore the highest peaks in Peru. Then I thought I would go inland towards the border of Brazil to spend several days canoeing down the Amazon River exploring the jungle, indigenous communities, flora and fauna...I had made arrangements and reservations...and then the little ones came home last night and my heart was refilled and there is now a huge grin on my face that I can´t seem to wipe off!

I have only sixteen more days left here with them. Actually only fifteen, as my flight leaves Peru at 1 am on morning of the fifteenth. Not enough time to see the country as I would much rather spend it here with the children...so a quick trip to Huarez will have to do this weekend. The Amazon, the place that I had hoped to visit the most on this trip to Peru, will have to be a portion of my draw back here next time...made the decision and feel good about it.

The children coming back home was double edged as for the most part they were extremely happy to be back at the refuge and together once again. Still, they suffer tremendously when they leave their families.

The refuge has so much to offer them but, realistically, most of these children have other brothers, sisters and parents that love them very much. The refuge provides the children with a home, clothing, food, and schooling and additionally relieves the burden of another little one for the families that they come from to provide for. Yet in reality, they have other siblings that aren´t so fortunate in being able to come here as the space we have is very limited...it breaks my heart but the refuge just doesn´t have the means to be able to accommodate all of these children.

So the little ones returned to the refuge, some of them very happy and some of them quietly weeping as they missed their families so much. Sweet little Naysha was one of these children...all I could do was hug and kiss her, cuddle with her, brush her hair, and share secrets with her hoping to make her smile and to stop the tears from rolling down her lovely brown cheeks...she finally fell asleep.

Went to visit Las Laderas again with Dan, Ibar, and Alana...Alana´s first time there. We went to visit with the children, bringing buckets of Legos to each of the seven classrooms and for the gents to say their good byes.

After visiting each of the classrooms, we joined some of the ladies of the community in the Comedor, they had prepared us yet another extravagant feast. Once again we have pangs of guilt at taking this much needed food from them but they really want to give us something special...plates of vegetables in lime juice, ceviche because they know how much the gents loved it last time, rice, camote, and liver.

During lunch small children kept coming up to our table and speaking to Rosa about coming to the refuge...twice during the meal Rosa looked at me and said "you will speak on their behalf to Carole about getting them into the refuge, won´t you?" This just tears my heart out, what do you say to this except for "of course", knowing that the committee is already denying two other children that are in need. It is such a struggle and I find myself frustrated not really knowing how to help.

After this lovely lunch, the women proceed to each give individual speeches filled with gracious, tear filled thank yous. They are so grateful to us for the work that we have been doing at the refuge with the children. I feel so guilty because I wish that we could do so much more for them and I feel that we really haven´t done much at all. It isn´t that we don´t want to, it is just that there is so much to do. Where on earth do you start?

I dumped all of the money in my pocket back into the community purchasing loads of their handmade crafts that I intend to re-sell on their behalf once I return to the States again with the intention of raising additional monies for their community. They are lovely pieces, so get out your purses friends and prepare to be very generous! Love you!

Once again, I leave Las Laderas with red, puffy eyes, a lump in my throat, what feels like a fist clenching my heart and sniffles...craving an impossible private moment to myself.

After leaving Laderas we rushed to Santa Rosa where the children were invited to perform their play again for a local school. They did a fantastic job and the school children kept chanting for a second performance. Our kids just beam, they get better and better with each performance! Bus ride back to the refuge filled with singing and dancing children and volunteers! Constantly filled with smiles and song!

Met with Brigid and Jose for Chifa (aka Chinese food) then back to the refuge...completely knackered...draining but beautiful day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

Holy sweet jesus...do I miss you! I want a huge hug right now...I LOVE YOU BEAUTIFUL!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Thanks K...sometimes you just need someone else to tell you that rather than just listening to the internal struggle...I love you, you always know the right thing to say to me...

Thanks bb...you would never be able to leave the refuge if you set foot over here...so many dirty little mugaloos...they are so cute!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

¡Usted dos está loco en el principal... pero te quiero ambos de todos modos!You two are crazy in the head...but I love you both anyways!

Gracias para sus palabras dulces del estímulo. Significa una porción
entera a mí. Thankyou for your sweet words of encouragement. It means a whole lot to me.

¡En cuanto a la diferencia en fechas, tengo una breve parada en
California a visitar con mis amigos y a traipse alrededor como el pequeño polluelo hippy sucio que soy! As to the difference in dates, I have a brief stop in California to visit with my friends and traipse around like the dirty little hippy chick that I am!

¡Las gracias por el paseo ofrecido del aeropuerto pero del golpe de
Jen usted al sacador así que usted tuvieron que lucha del puño con ella para ella! Thanks for the offered ride from the airport but Jen beat you to the punch so you will have to fist fight with her for it!

¡Espera de Can`t para verle! Can`t wait to see you!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home