17 May 2005

Feliz Cumpleaños y Discotechs

13 May 05

Friday the 13th and everything is grand here in Zapallal!

Spent the morning studying the site and attempted to do some work which proves incredibly difficult to do when you have dozens of children that want to play dozens of different games with you at the same time!

I have come to realize that most of my work will most likely take place once I leave Peru. So, for now I play, study, and learn...

Alana, Maria, and I went to Puenta Pierdre today. Maria needed ingredients at the market for the weekend´s meals, I needed more fabrics and materials for costumes and wanted to purchase the fabric that Lucy was oogling at, I also bought the ingredients to make a monster apple crisp for the kids.

I spoke to Lucy and Manuel about doing Yoga sessions with the children and they are super supportive of it, so I will hold my first Yoga class tomorrow morning in the Cholsa.

What an incredibly huge apple crisp I made, it had to feed nearly forty...absolutely enormous! It tasted great if you ask me, though two children started complaining of stomach aches before bedtime....please don´t let it be because of my cooking! The children where eyeing me suspiciously but kept assuring me that it wasn´t my torta!

Another run through for the play, the kids are getting so good! We will hold a dress rehearsal soon as the costumes are getting close to being completed! Lucy is a whiz with the sewing machine and I am as slow as a turtle and probably cause more problems for her than I help! She is incredibly patient with me.

14 May 05

Serious face painting session for the children today, took the entire morning to get through everyone! We had butterflies, Geishas, Batman, Spiderman, monsters, clowns (scarey!), etc. The kids just loved it! Lots of great photographs to post at some point.

Spent a couple of hours getting my photos organized and uploaded today. The kids were totally intrigued with photographs of my Peruvian adventures with Dan and Ibar, photos of my family and friends, and love to see images of themselves, so I organized a bit of a photo viewing for them.

Lucy made one of her infamous cakes for Angelica´s birthday tomorrow. The children taught me how to make a special frosting for it...the cake turned out beautifully, they decorated it with tiny, brightly coloured candies.

Alana and I left the refuge to tear up the town for a bit with a friend of hers. We snagged the refuge key so we didn´t have to wake the entire neighborhood upon our return to the refuge (there is a super loud bell that rings to get someone to open the front gate).

After collecting Maria in Santa Rosa, we took about seven different bus´s to our final destination, which had about a dozen different discotechas. We settled on one that boasted Salsa, Merengue, and Techno. Our dancing caused quite a ruckus with the locals, Alana said that people were trying to mimic our dance moves...they will surely be all the rage next weekend at the discos!

We flailed like absolute idiots!....fortunately, no one knows us here...Everyone dances in couples here and they seem to have one dance step that prevails over every dance genre. It was really refreshing to have guys continuously approach us asking us to dance, very chivalrous, you never see that in the U.S.

Maria turned out to be quite a spitfire...I will have to hang out with her again, it was her birthday the night we went out. Her boyfriend was fantastic buying us flowers and drinks, as well as being a hell of a dance partner! He and Maria had concocted a plan to bring dates-dance partners for us that evening...unknown to us...

Alana is absolutely fantastic, its great to have another crazy female to let my hair down with. A much needed night out on the town! We stumbled back to the refuge around 3am, let ourselves in, topped the night off with a quick trampoline session as the roosters began their crowing....which set me into an absolute fit of giggles...then bedtime...needless to say we slept very late the next morning for the first time since I arrived in Peru.

15 May 05

Very late start to the day...up in time to snag a bus to Lucy and Manuel´s for a beautiful lunch with them, their four sons, and corresponding wives.

Lucy brought out dozens of photos that dated back to when she and Manuel were first married. The family history...

Their home was beautiful and their family was absolutely lovely. Two of the women were expecting little ones in a couple of months.

In Peru, the women move into the man´s family home when they marry, at which point a new story will be constructed above the parent´s home for each son´s new family. Its really lovely how close the families remain.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention...the lovely birthday cake for Angelica was madly consumed by one crazed group of chocolate faced children just after breakfast....I´m surprised it lasted that long honestly!

Alana and I brought a huge bunch of fresh flowers back for Angelica´s birthday...which only spurred her more to do something even more special for our evening meal. It makes everyone here so happy when they can do something special for you. I feel so fussed over and guilty about it but there is nothing you can do about it except be gracious as otherwise its insulting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Don Ball Carbajal said...

Rebel, Don't ask me how I found your blog, but I did and I've been enjoying it tremendously.

I just featured one of your Flickr photos on my blog (with full credit, of course) and plugged your site. Hope that's ok.

Best wishes in your work!
Don

2:29 AM  
Blogger Don Ball Carbajal said...

Whoops...I meant to provide you with a link to the post. Here you go: http://sajournal.blogspot.com/2005/05/existential-crisis-revisited.html

2:30 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

burnt biscuits...I can barely wait! Any chance of adding the Police force to the audience?

M & D...I miss you guys tons! Thanks for checking out the photos, glad you liked them...I have sooo many more to upload!

Don Ball Carbajal...welcome, welcome, welcome and thanks for the plug on your site...all the additional word is appreciated for ´the cause´!

Did you find my blog through flickr or by random search? Now I will check yours out!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Don Ball Carbajal said...

Thank you. Honestly, I don't recall... It might've been in a search on "Peru" on Technorati.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home