15 June 2005

¡Más torta y caramelo que nosotros podemos dirigir!

15 Junio 05

Sadly packing my things last night before dinner expecting to get on an airplane at 1am, when I looked at my flight itinerary and realized that I had already missed my flight, as it left 24 hours earlier than I had expected...

What does this mean?

I came out laughing and showed my itinerary to Lucy who was finishing up the batch of homemade tamales that we had made for my return to the U.S. and all of the children began chanting "Rebecca isn´t leaving!" "Rebecca isn´t leaving!", hugging me, screaming, kisses...Oh happy heart of mine!

My going away party, much to my preference, turned into a celebration of more time here with the children. Out came the gigantic pinata, out came bottles of gaseosas, out came yet another of Lucy´s famous pineapple cakes...Manuel gets out the radio and we commence to another serious Salsa session!

Later Manuel climbs on top of a chair, hanging the giant pinata over the heads of all the children and after a small struggle they were showered with various toys and sweets...what a mad struggle! Let me tell you it was a bit brutal and tears were shed! Even the adults (niñas grande) partook in the fun. I have photos of Edith grabbing at treats in the air for her sons at home and Maria skidding across the kitchen floor laughing and trying to grab candies! So much fun!

We celebrated further with a beautiful party package sent to the refuge by my friend Don...This afternoon an enormous Scooby Doo cake showed up accompanied by a box of assorted local pastries, nine bottles of sodas and various staples for the pantry. It was all accompanied by a lovely note written by the sender.

The kids had to suffer through staring at that cake until well after dinner before they could have their faces plastered with multi coloured frosting! While they overdosed on massive amounts of sugar, Lucy read Don´s sweet note out loud to the children which roused a huge "Muchas Gracias Don!", all in unison...Don, I hope you heard that all the way over there...it is quite likely that you did! Thank you so much for your kindness, it made for a fantastic night!
Today, yet another lovely package arrived from my beautiful sister Melissa and her fiance (yes, Dave I said fiance...are you used to it yet?!) Dave.

This package was the delux package and I have to admit that even with my enormous amount of strength is was difficult for me to carry by myself...a two person job!

Beautifully wrapped in a huge red bow and indeed in a basket, it was filled with all of the must haves for a local pantry here in Peru as well as many special treats that aren´t normally splurged on here as they are expensive (ie. condiments, hot chocolate, etc.). Thank you so much Missaliss and Davey for your generosity...it means the world to me and those that it is going to support!

1 Comments:

Blogger Don Ball Carbajal said...

Rebecca,

What a lucky oversight on your part! I'm happy for you that you got an extra day with the kids. And I'm glad the care package. Those sweet kids (who I hope to meet someday) are certainly welcome.

I wish you a safe journey, Rebecca!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home