08 April 2005

trabajo voluntario


trabajo voluntario
Originally uploaded by zephyr1.
I leave for Lima in three days, exactly three days at 11:50am!

With everything that I packed and moved, as my apartment got better and better acoustics and then sat empty and sterile, as I iron out the last of my pre-travel errands and arrangements, the more excited that I get and the more I realize that I am preparing to throw myself into the fire...unprepared but mentally ready and literally thirsting for it!

I have given away stuff, sold some, and moved the rest into a storage facility..storing it all in Boston as, I think, that I will be coming back there to work/live, but honestly I feel that this Peru trip might just unfold some new "must attempt" adventure which will determine my next step, feel it in my gut...intuition? We'll see.

Now, I crash with my Daddy, sip coffee with him in the morning, stack wood with him in the afternoons, soak up the sun with the little ones, Austin, Jordan and my sis Jen and send out my see ya laters...

I've got a pretty good understanding of Spanish at this point, got by during my four month travel through Central America, but I can't speak very much conversationally and will most likely end up pointing to food then to my mouth while rubbing my belly, smiling and nodding my head!...;)...I have quite a collection of "how tos", the 6 cd collection, the Spanish dictionary, on-line course, and my latest and new favorite....my $20 English-Spanish translater...just type in what ever you want translated and it comes up on the screen! It may just allow me to squeak by!

People are so concerned for me...I guess it may be a bit of a dangerous area...sometimes goes hand in hand with poverty stricken neighborhoods. But this Scorpio will be just fine so don't worry friends. If it is anything like Central America they will be absolutely beautiful and kind people. Additionally, I don't plan on bringing anything with me that anyone would necessarily want to steal from me...nothing that I would hesitate to part with anyways. Don't be worried...rationalization...in reality, I have no idea what I am getting myself into, and that is a huge part of the appeal.

Bottom line, I will have a roof over my head, whatever that might be, and food on the table though being a Vegan I anticipate a few pounds lost!

I have packed up the headlamp, the Swiss Army knife, the sleeping bag, all the cool techy quick dry clothes and hiking boots, bio-friendly campin' suds, the mess kit, the dehydrated Vegan friendly foods, the first aid kit, iodine pills, the binoculars, and lots of memory cards for the camera...just need to figure a way to cram it all into one giant pack...;)

Sweet Jesus...I think I am ready.

1 Comments:

Blogger db said...

I've said what I said, although I'll probably have more to say while you're gone...

Be sure to update this dang thing as much as possible and check out mine (when you can) as there will be things for you there as well...

You know, for what it's worth, I hear Savannah is lovely in the summer... I'm not sayin' anything, I'm just sayin'...

;)

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home